A trademark owner has the following rights:
- to prevent all third parties from using in the course of trade identical or similar signs for goods or services which are identical, similar, or related to those in respect of which the trademark is registered where such use would result in a likelihood of confusion;
- to prevent the sale or advertising of goods bearing the mark or the use of the mark in connection with services, and the importation or export of goods bearing such a mark;
- to protect their rights under the law and regulations against infringements by others such as to institute court action, [and] right to compensation from damages caused by others.
The rights described in items 1 and 2 of this Article shall not prejudice any existing prior rights.
The rights described above shall apply mutatis mutandis to well-known marks and to trade names without regard to whether they are registered.
- No individual or organization of this than the trademark owner shall undertake any of the acts described in paragraph 1 in Lao PDR without authorization by the trademark owner, and except as otherwise provided in this Law, any such acts without authorization shall be considered to be an act of infringement;
- It shall be the responsibility of the trademark owner to take measures to enforce rights under the trademark. The owner of the trademark shall, in addition to any other rights, remedies, or actions available to him, have the right, subject to any exceptions provided in this Law, to institute court action against an individual or organization who infringes his trademark or who, without his agreement, performs acts that make it likely that infringement will occur;
- The owner of the registered trademark shall have the right to prevent others from using the mark as described in paragraph 1 from the time that the mark is registered. This provision shall not prejudice the right of the trademark registrant to take legal action on any other basis, in particular, for infringing a mark is that is well-known or for infringement of a trade name.